I went to the gym this morning and wanted to share my struggles with you in hopes that it might give you hope to continue working toward optimum health.
When I was in Health Coaching School I was making many changes to my nutrition as well as lifestyle. I cannot even tell you how many things I changed. At one time I had a list going and it was over 60 things I changed or added to my life in 1 year. It was not about deprivation, but about adding new things or taking out things that were no longer working for my health.
This may sound overwhelming. I did not change 60 things in 1 day, like we do on New Year's Eve only to break our resolutions 3 or 4 days later. I changed 1 or 2 things at a time every few weeks.
I remember at the end of that year, I felt the best I have ever felt in my life. I was in my late 50's. I had absolutely no aches or pains. I had so much energy from morning till night and could not wait to jump out of bed in the morning.
I realize part of this new found energy came from helping people get healthy! I was so confident and bold cold calling global corporations and getting hired for health fairs and wellness lectures. It was an amazing season in my life.
First, what are some of the 60 things I changed:
- my thyroid medication
- stop drinking tap water
- stopped eating gluten
- stopped eating dairy
- started eating coconut products
- added avocados to my diet
- stopped dieting
- started eating real food
- stopped going to the gym
- started moving my body naturally (bike riding, walking, yoga)
- started gardening and growing my own food
- sleep at least 7 hours
- started seeing a functional medicine doctor
- I connect with many people
- I get massages/chiropractic sessions
- I am grateful
- I have a spiritual practice, I trust God
- I practice kindness and forgiveness
Secondly, where am I now?
To be honest, I am struggling to get back to that place of pain free living, with boundless energy. I know that I can do it because I have been there before. That old ugly stress comes piling on us and we stop taking care of ourselves. We stop paying close attention to what we are eating. We are not sleeping well. I let dairy slip back in to my diet because it is so delicious. I don't drink enough water. I let my mind go to negative places and start doubting myself. I stop exercising because I hate going to the gym and would rather be outside riding my bike.
Does this sound like you?
I challenge you to take a step in the right direction. I beg you not to go crazy changing everything today because you cannot sustain that type of deprivation over time and you will be right back where you began or worse off than before.
Look at this list and pick 2 things that are manageable for you right now where you are:
- Drink more clean water - 1/2 your body weight in ounces (if you weight 130 lbs. just drink 65 oz /day and stop at 7:30 p.m.)
- Eat green veggies at every meal of the day
- Do not skip meals
- Eat smaller portions
- Minimize eating out
- Cook for yourself/prep your lunches
- Ask a friend to be your partner in your journey to health
- Cut out dairy
- Cut out gluten
- Add good fats into your diet: olives, avocado, nuts and seeds, coconut oil, coconut flakes, avocado oil, olive oil (cold only).
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for your free 45 minute consultation.
Change Your Life with Food
Certified Health Coach