Friday, April 11, 2014

Are you aware of how you talk to yourself?

Today while running a boring but beautiful 4 miles, I was feeling fatigued around mile 3.5. My mind tricked me into almost walking, but instead of listening to the voice that said "time to walk" I told myself that I only had .5 to go and that "I can do this." I got rid of that negative talk. I stopped it in its tracks, and replaced it with positive talk.

This is a very important aspect of health. If you talk negatively all day to yourself, you cannot possibly feel good about yourself at the end of the day. Are you aware of how you talk to yourself? Do you listen to your own self-talk.

Here is a great 1 DAY exercise to bring awareness to your self-talk.

  1. When you wake up in the morning write down the first thing you are thinking. Is it positive, or negative? Do you say, "I am so tired" or do you say "I am excited for this day to see what I can accomplish?" The mindset is so very different and the energy you bring to your day should improve with more positive self-talk.
  2. During this same day, be mindful of the way you interact with co-workers or people that you are exposed to during the day. Do you talk negative about them in your mind, do you judge them? If you find yourself thinking negative thoughts, write them down on the left side of the page, write down something positive on the right side to replace it. Give someone a compliment instead of talking negatively or judging them. 
  3. During this same day, be mindful of how you treat your spouse or loved ones. Do you constantly wish they were different and let the same things annoy you over and over? If you find yourself thinking negatively about your loved ones, write down your thoughts on the left and the positive replacement on the right. Do something special for them.
Now repeat for the rest of your life and be healthier and happier forever!





No comments:

Post a Comment